Monday, July 13, 2009

July 13 = Day 25

From Ron:
Todays surgery to install a tracheotomy was canceled by her pulmonary physician due to Elena having developed a fever this morning. As we know, fevers are the first indication that there is an infection and since the procedure is not immediately necessary the decision is to wait until Elena has the best chance for a good result.

The immunologist examined Elena and will be adjusting her antibiotics as well as removing a line from her inner thigh that is used to draw blood and was installed during the first week of her hospitalization. While this is a disappointment we've always been cautioned that this would be a roller coaster ride. Speaking for myself , I tend to get so hopeful when things go well that I forget just how sick Elena remains. We must all remain stead fast in our love and concern and continue to pray. This is hard on all of us who love her but she is in the hands of skilled medical people who, one and all, want to be there when we walk out with her.

In closing I would like to thank everyone for your support for Elena and her family and friends. This is something that is not easy to go through but is made so much easier with the high level of love and support that you all have given us. We thank you


  1. Ron, We will continue to keep Elena and the Walters family in our thoughts and prayers as we have from the beginning of her illness. It is so hard for a parent to see their child so very ill and our hearts go out to you. Marilyn and Lee Leymon (Melissa's in-laws)

  2. I admire your strength....We all love Elena and will continue in our prayers and for the day she begins recovery. Thank you for keeping us all up to date. God Bless, Kim